3. Krasnoyarsk – the Third and Last Million-plus City of Siberia
Krasnoyarsk was founded in 1628 on the shore of the Yenisei River. This is the third most populous city in Siberia – 1,035,528 people (2014).
Near the city there is a powerful Krasnoyarsk HPP – a hydroelectric power station on the Yenisei River, which is one of the top ten largest hydroelectric power stations of the world in terms of power.
The Trans-Siberian Railwaygoes through Krasnoyarsk.
Symbol of the City – Chapel of Paraskeva Friday
The chapel is located on top of the Karaulnaya Mountain. The chapel was built in 1855 in place of a wooden watchtower where Cossacks stood guard – they were the first settlers of Krasnoyarsk. From the Karaulnaya Mountainthere is a great view of the central part of the city.
The chapel is depicted on a 10-ruble banknote.
Nature Reserve Krasnoyarsk Pillars
The main attractions of the reserve are the rocks that are called “Pillars.”
Residents of Krasnoyarsk and of many other places come to the “Pillars” – to take a walk in taiga, enjoy rock climbing, sit around a campfire.
The third pillar. This is a rock of 35 meters high. At the end of the 19th century next to it appeared the first hut of researchers-freethinkers. Then it got burned by gendarmes, who feared revolutionary ideas. But that did not stop the conspirators. In those times on the pillar appeared the inscription “Freedom”, which is still there.
The second pillar. The highest in the Central region of the reserve rock massif – itsrelative height is 96 meters.
It opens to breathtaking views of the surrounding areas. The pillar has many ledges and pathways.
The second pillar also holds a sad record for accidents that do not even spare experienced climbers.
The first pillar.This is one of the highest rock formations in the reserve – with the relative height of up to 85 meters (567 meters above the Yenisei River). It has the most extensive system of tunnels. The top of the pillar looks like a huge pyramid. In the hollows and niches of the pyramid more than 1,000 people can hide.
Krasnoyarsk nature reserve “Pillars”. View from the third pillar to the first and second
Krasnoyarsk National History Museum
At present, the museum collection has around 468,000 items. It is the largest museum collection beyond the Urals.
Major museum collections are archaeological, paleontological (a stegosaurus skeleton, a skeleton of a mammoth), art, religious art, ethnographic, naturalistic. It also has written sources, arms and weapons and much more.
There are audio guides in the museum in English, German and French.
Tyumen is noticeably inferior in terms of population to the top three cities –with only 679,861 people (2014) – and it is in fourth place.
The city was founded in 1586 in place of an ancient town – the capital of Tyumen Khanate. Tyumen is the first Russian city in Siberia.
For a long time the city served only military-political goals – it was a Russian outpost during the development of Siberia and the Far East.
Discovery of oil and gas fields in the Tyumen region in the 20th century spurred a new era of a rapid development of the city.
Hot springs “Verhnii Bor”
The temperature of the hot springs is 39-40 degrees Celsius. You can swim in them all year round. The water is continuously monitored. For children there are special shallow pools.
Across the Tura River there used to be a wooden bridge, which was especially liked by people in love. But with age the bridge collapsedabout 30 years ago. It was a disaster – a favorite meeting place disappeared. The situation was fixed by building a beautiful new bridge, beautifully lit at night.
Holy Trinity Monastery
The oldest surviving complex of buildings in the city. The monastery was built in 1616. The monastery is conveniently located on the shores of the Tura River.
The monastery shows all the main features of the architecture of that time. A traditional Old Russian cubic style got also reflected in the Trinity Cathedral. Refectory style is reflected in the Church of the Forty Martyrs and the cruciform style – in the church of St. Peter and St. Paul.
Square of Siberian Cats
There is a true story about Siberian cats. During the Siege of Leningrad in the World War II gradually all cats disappearedfrom Leningrad.
This led to the proliferation of rats, which formed huge packs and in the absence of food began attacking people and damage priceless works of art in the Hermitage.
Once the Road of Life on the ice of Lake Ladoga was established, Tyumen police was instructed to collect all stray animals from the streets and send them to Leningrad.
Several hundred animals were transported with the first cargo. Very quickly, the problem with packs of rats got solved. And today’s Tyumen in honor of that event put up a monument to Siberian cats.