Home of authentic Russian gifts

Tsaritsyno Estate in Moscow

Tsaritsyno Estate is a great historical place where you can enjoy the glorious architecture of the Catherinian Era and spend a whole day in a beautiful park within Moscow.

In southern Moscow, on the way to the neighboring town Kashira, there is the palace and park ensemble built in the time of the enlightened Empress Catherine the Great.

The building history of Tsaritsyno Estate

In 1762, the German Princess Sophia who had married the heir to the Russian throne took part in a palace coup, ascended the throne and became known as Catherine II.

In 1774, yet another Russo-Turkish War ended in victory for the Russians. The Russian Empire was finally enjoying peace-time.

Catherine II decided to celebrate the victory in Moscow (at that time Saint Petersburg was the capital of Russia).

According to the project of the Russian Empress, a new imperial country residence should be built to the south from Moscow (nowadays Tsaritsyno Estate lies within the city boundaries).

The year 1775 marked the beginning of construction works. This new royal residence was planned to be built on the territory which had been called “Chernaya Gryaz” (literally translated as “Black Mud”) and had been bought out from an appanage prince. The famous Russian architect V. Bazhenov was invited for engineering and building Estate.

However, when the Grand Palace was finished, the Russian Empress did not like it.

In 1785, Catherine II ordered the architect M. Kazakov who was quite popular at that time to rebuild the Grand Palace in Tsaritsyno. To attain this end, he had to disassemble the finished building and partially reconstruct it.

The reconstruction of Tsaritsyno Estate had been continuing until the death of Catherine II. Unfortunately, the next Russo-Turkish War seriously hindered the construction works.

The architectural style of Tsaritsyno Estate

The architectural style of Estate has been carefully restored. Besides, a large room was built under Tsaritsyno Estate and given to the needs of Tsaritsyno Museum (the museum entrance is in a stand-alone glass pavilion).

The Grand Palace in Tsaritsyno

The pseudo-Gothic architectural style was widespread back then, and was expressed in spires and lancet arches of the Grand Palace.

The Grand Palace (fragment)

The Grand Palace (fragment)

The Grand Palace (fragment) 2

The Grand Palace (fragment)

Opera House

Opera House was initially called the Middle Palace and like the Grand Palace was built for the Empress and her court.

Later it was planned to hold concerts in this building, but the idea was never actually realized. Only these days Opera House started to host some concerts which then took place in another building of Tsaritsyno Estate.

Opera House as it is seen through the Grape Gate

Opera House as it is seen through the Grape Gate

Opera House

Opera House

The Cavalry Corps

The Cavalry Corps were built for servants.

It looks like an octagon from outside, inside the building resembles two crosses that are superimposed and combined in the center.

The Cavalry Corps

The Cavalry Corps 

***

The Shaped Bridge

The Shaped Bridge

The Bread House (Kitchen Building) and the Greenhouse Bridge

The Bread House (Kitchen Building) and the Greenhouse Bridge

The museum lobby

The museum lobby

One of the three greenhouses

One of the three greenhouses that amaze visitors with tropical flavors and exotic flowers 

One of the three greenhouses 2

Next – Tsaritsyno Park >>>

  • Pages:
  • 1
  • 2

Comments

Leave a Reply

We are glad to discover Russia together with you!

We put our heart into the project. Join us on Facebook or Twitter: