Russians in everyday life do not differ much from the people of other countries. At the same time, every person chooses their own menu for the day. We will only list some versions. In no particular order.
What Do Russians for Breakfast
1. Porridge – buckwheat, millet, rice, semolina, oatmeal, with milk and butter, some bread or a sandwich. And tea or, more rarely, coffee.
2. Fried or scrambled eggs with sausage and a couple of sandwiches – with cow’s butter, cheese, salami – to taste. And traditional tea-coffee.
3. Muesli or cereal with kefir, or with yogurt, or milk.
5. Nothing and a cigarette (there is such an option).
6. An apple.
7. Russian cottage cheese by itself or with jam, or nuts, or raisins, or honey.
8. What is left from yesterday’s dinner.
9. Any main dish and tea or coffee.
10. Russian pancakes cooked, for example, the day before. Filling to taste.
11. Syrniki. For example, syrniki with sour cream and raspberry jam. And coffee.
What Do Russians Eat for Lunch
1. Good lunch consists of salad, soup, main course, dessert and a drink.
Salad can be: green (greens only), vegetable (whatever the chef chooses), vinegret (boiled and chopped vegetables with a dressing), mimosa (fish salad), Olivier (a highly simplified version of it), meat salad.
Soup can be: vegetable, chicken noodle soup, milk and noodle soup, shchi (meatless or conventional – with meat), borsch, fish soup (using salmon or cheaper option – using canned fish), okroshka (cold summer soup), beetroot soup (also a summer soup), cream of mushroom soup, pickle soup, solyanka (a little spicy soup with smoked meat), pea soup.
Main course can be: beef stroganoff, chicken or meat in any form, meat balls, pelmeni, fish in any form, pot roasted meats, mushrooms, potatoes, vegetables, plov. The main dish is often accompanied by side dishes: potatoes, pasta, rice, barley porridge, vegetables – boiled, fried, steamed.
Dessert: ice cream, sweet pancakes, sweets, baked apple, a piece of cake or a casserole.
Other lunch options are more modest.
6. Tea and sweets.
What Do Russians Eat for Dinner
2. Kefir or yogurt.
5. The main course – same as lunch.
9. Anything you can find in a refrigerator.
Russians are also fond of national cuisines of many countries – from France to Thailand, follow various diets, eat vegetarian and so on.
Russian Winter Nesting Doll